Monday, January 19, 2009

You don't know what you've got til it's gone

This weekend my husband went away Friday night-Sunday afternoon for a boys ice fishing weekend with his dad and cousins. This left me all to myself with very few plans. I was so happy! I began to make plans to keep myself busy, plans that I knew my husband would have no interest in. I rented some chick movies, I slept in Friday morning and did my workout in the late afternoon (he wouldn't be around anyway right?), I did a little cleaning, watched the chick movies. I had to teach two classes at the Y on Saturday morning so that time was filled up. I called my parents up and made a date to see a movie and do lunch. I got some girlfriends together for dinner and later wine drinking and girl talk at my house. Sunday I was lazy most of the day. I don't write this to give you a full account of my weekend. I write this because I came to a realization. I was so happy to have a weekend to myself! Now, don't get me wrong, I love my husband and I misses him terribly. But it was nice to not have to worry about anyone but me (and the dog of course). When my husband and I are home we want to spend time with each other. Our lives are so busy most of the time that time together is rare, and we don't even have kids left. This weekend reminded me of what it was like when I lived in Eau Claire for two years. I was dating my husband but I was alone most of the week and I hated it! I hated trying to find things to do after work. Hence the reason I spent so much time at the mall! I hated being alone unlike this weekend where I really enjoyed it.
My point is, it isn't until time had past or our circumstances have changed that we appreciate what we have. Lately I have been so focused on getting pregnant and having a baby that I am not appreciating this time without a child. When I first started my ministry I was stuck in the past longing for the days when I was teaching, or looking to the future when I could find another job. I am going to try and live more in the present moment. I've gotten a lot better that is for sure. It is still something I need to work on. I've even taking a workshop this coming weekend on that very topic. I'm looking forward to it.... but not too much! For now I'll enjoy my Monday off!

1 comment:

Kimbrel said...

I totally understand your "I love being around him but I also love..." I have to come to learn that its very important to take time for yourself or for things you don't normally do - it refuels us for the routine!!