Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Return

Well, a successful return from a nice long weekend! At first I thought I would have nothing to do today but I ended up working on a picture slide show of all the events we did (or that I took pictures of) in Youth Ministry. It ended up being 6 minutes long. I’ve really done a lot since I’ve gotten here. My attitude is still pretty positive but today when I read that one of the “nuns” at the local Catholic School was leaving my heart hoped, just a little that there might be an opening for me. I sent an email for a little investigation. I don’t really know if I would want to be at the Catholic school here in town. As I’ve mentioned it’s pretty conservative and slightly backwards but I think my heart will always long to be a teacher. I still believe that I have a purpose here and that there is work that God is calling me to do.
On Friday I called all the households with graduating seniors. We are honoring our graduates and since we are a Newman Center we are contacting the ministry program at the schools where these graduates will be attending to let them know they are coming. One father I spoke with who is a very active member but whose son is not even baptized was so pleased that I called. He gave me his son’s college information. When I asked him about attending Mass he replied in a weary voice, “I just don’t think I’ll be able to get him to go.” He truly appreciated my effort. And to think I wasn’t even going to call them because I knew the son wasn’t active. That is the irony or perhaps the challenge of working in ministry. We just have to keep trying no matter what. More than likely the outcome won’t be what we expect it to be. Or we might never know if we’ve affected someone’s life.
In other news, I’m meeting with the priest tomorrow to talk about my position next year. He keeps making it sound like there is going to be a big change or something. He has an odd sense of humor so I can’t really tell if he’s just being funny or what. Much as I am challenged by this job if he said to me, “There is no position for you.” I don’t know what I would do. I am really starting to grow into this parish. My identity rests here. I can see me bringing my babies to church here and having our college students babysit. I was just about to write that I would be devastated by this. But, I don’t think I would be. I’d be sad, but I would move on. Not like when my position was cut at the middle school I taught at. I felt like I could have worked there for the rest of my life. I know I don’t feel that way about this position. I think I would like to be a part of this parish for the rest of my life, but to be in the same position I don’t think so. Hmmmm, something to ponder. We shall see.

No comments: