Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yummy, healthy, dinner!

I meant to post this last night but it was late, my computer froze up and so I decided to go to bed. I ended up tossing and turning until almost 1am! How annoying! Here is a great recipe I found in Real Simple this month.


Quinoa with mushroom, kale, and sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 C Water (I used chicken broth)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 3/4 inch pieces (not sure why mine are yellow and not orange)
  • 10oz button mushrooms quartered
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves town into 2 inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine (I used Marsala because it's what we had)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 C grated Parmesan (optional)


1. Place quinoa in 2 cups of water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook tossing occasionally, until golden and beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minutes. Add the kale, wine, salt and pepper. Cook tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve over quinoa and sprinkle with the Parmesan.




The result:YUMMY! I never thought to cook sweet potatoes this way and the combination with the mushrooms was excellent! The kale had kind of a chewy texture when cooked but otherwise tasted good. The Marsala wine really complemented the other flavors.
In TTC news I've been seeing a lot of fertile CM but still no positive on the OPK. Yesterday I saw a faint line which I assumed would turn into a dark line today but nope! Very odd and a little early for me to O. DH wasn't up to BD last night so hopefully we can start the marathon tonight.
Catcha later!